Saturday, March 15, 2014

This Is Actually MY Cat

Have not included much about my own cats on my blog except at the beginning since I had so many pictures and stories to share.  Still have a lot, but I want to reacquaint you with my furry boys.  I would be lost without them.  They don't ask for much except food, water, and some loving along the way.  The contentment and companionship are certainly an excellent exchange!

Kirby is the older cat by one year.  He was a stray dumped off on the playground at the school where I taught in Las Vegas.  (That subject is one we won't get into now because I'm not going to get on my soapbox)  My husband at that time and I had two females already.  He had mentioned one day that if we ever added to the "family", it would be a male.

Two teachers out on duty spied Kirby first and brought him in.  They fixed a box and found some water so he could drink.  Don't know what food they gave him unless one of them brought something from home that her cats ate.  He was in the building for several days before I saw him.  One day walking down the hall, I met the two teachers taking care of him; one of them was holding him.  This is NOT Kirby, but the sentiment is the same:




When it was time to go home for the day, I called my husband and told him to stand outside on the back porch.  He wanted to know why, of course, but I didn't tell him.  He was there when I drove in the driveway.  About the time he approached the car, Kirby popped up out of my lap and put his front paws on the window.  My husband goes, "Awwwwwww!"  Yup, Kirby had grabbed his heart too.  :>)

As to his name, that took a little while.  We tried various names, but nothing seemed to stick.  One day, I told my husband while I watched Kirby eat, "My God, he's like a vacuum cleaner.  He just sucks up his food!"  Boing!  The light bulb went on, and I knew what to name him.  He looked at me as if to say, "Well, it's about time you got it right!".

Now, you know the rest of the story as Paul Harvey used to say.  The cat in the following pictures IS Kirby.  He is part Maine Coon and part Tabby.  He's a lover, not a fighter.  He is a big cat and weighs in at 22 pounds.  Thank goodness, he isn't a full Maine Coon.  They can be 48 inches from their nose to the tip of their tail and weigh 35 pounds.  I'd never be able to pick him up and take him to the vet at that rate.  Would have to just put a leash on him and walk him in.  :>)

Sitting in Grandma's chair:



Sitting in my chair:



Wondering if Grandma will buy him some treats:



Hanging out with his brother:



Next week I'll give you the background information on my other cat, Sammy.

And remember, whatever life throws your way:




Come back next week and learn about Sammy!  Have a great week, everybody!



No comments:

Post a Comment