Saturday, October 25, 2014

How Are Cats and Kids Alike?

Cats and kids have more things in common than you might think!  I had been a dog person all of my life until ten years ago when my ex-husband introduced me to two female cats who were sisters.  What an adventure that was!  I am no longer around the females, but have two males of my own that I rescued.  Until I retired, I had been in the teaching profession for almost thirty years.  Watching my two sure reminded me of things I had seen children do.  Let's take a look at some of these similarities.

1.  They both like to play in cardboard boxes.

My two kids could have more fun with a cardboard box making it into whatever their imagination came up with.  My two males would rather have a box to play with than any fun toys I can buy them.  Doesn't matter what the size is.  Might have to squeeze in, but that's okay.





2.  They like to lie in the middle of the hallway when you're walking.

Both of my kids at home and in the classroom would love to be spread out all over the place when working on something.  At home, I'd have to step over kids on the floor with blankets, etc. while watching a movie.  One of my males loves to lie right in the doorway between the kitchen and the living room.  When Mother comes along with her walker, do you think he will move?  Absolutely not!  She has to pick up the walker and try to get around him.




3.  They like climbing on things!

Couches, chairs, beds, etc.  You name it and they'll want to climb it.  The higher, the better.  My youngest son did Motocross Racing when he was younger.  Watching him fly over the hills at 90 mph was more than this mom could take!  My mother was amazed one day when Sammy went from the floor to the top of the refrigerator in one single leap.  (We have since fixed that problem!)




4.  They squeeze into tiny spaces.

Sometimes my boys would use their closets as forts and cram all their "stuff" and themselves into these small spaces.  It was cramped, but they seemed to have fun judging from the talking and laughing going on.  Fortunately, they took a flashlight with them so they could see.  My cats can curl themselves around in the weirdest places and positions to take naps.  If the cardboard box is too small, they can still find a way to make it fit.




5.  They don't like to be "overly dressed".

I have been accused by a friend of mine of having more underwear pictures of my boys than anybody else she knows.  This was when they were young on Christmas morning, taking a nap, etc.  I tried once to put a Christmas collar on Kirby.  That did not go over well.  Could not imagine even trying to get actual clothes on him.








6.  They both like lying down in suitcases.

This is my great-granddaughter, Maycee.  Her mother was trying to get ready to go on a trip to visit family.




And you know what this is!


There are other way that cats and kids are alike, but I think this gives you a general picture.  Hope you enjoyed it.  What things do your cats do that remind you of your children?





Marion Lovato is the author of Sam, the Superkitty.  Her book describes an ordinary cat changing into a superhero to protect his family from things that go bump in the night.  Available on Amazon as a paperback or Kindle edition.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1604588667


No comments:

Post a Comment